ABF | Any other end of lines getting scales for the lifts?

041 has had them for the better part of 18 months, supposedly our revenue is about 20% higher per bill count average thanks to it. Personally don’t believe it’s that high but I’m sure some of the discrepancies I’ve caught brought it a pretty penny from sometimes 1000+ lbs difference and one of those were on a hazmat load that made it halfway across the country to us!

041 has had them for the better part of 18 months, supposedly our revenue is about 20% higher per bill count average thanks to it. Personally don’t believe it’s that high but I’m sure some of the discrepancies I’ve caught brought it a pretty penny from sometimes 1000+ lbs difference and one of those were on a hazmat load that made it halfway across the country to us!
Not to mention the safety aspect, accurate freight weights means accurate trailer weights… big discrepancies like you mentioned could cause some serious issues, nothing like an inaccurate weight to put the heavy trailer in the rear…

Any chance these scale units are used ?
Some one else had this bright idea years ago.
Worked so well the company started to reward those who scaled everything they came across. Some even inflated the weight to get the swag.
Should be plenty to go around at auction may even get a worn out lift with it.

Any chance these scale units are used ?
Some one else had this bright idea years ago.
Worked so well the company started to reward those who scaled everything they came across. Some even inflated the weight to get the swag.
Should be plenty to go around at auction may even get a worn out lift with it.
Pretty sure they are new.
We got 2 skids of them, Each unit wrapped in plastic.
Contractor from weightronix has been installing them the last few days

That's how lawsuits happen. FedEx has been using this system since I started working here. Initially it was random (I think) and now every piece of freight gets weighed and dimensioned multiple times through it's shipping. I think they started doing that because they got sued for fraudulent charges.
They weigh freight because some shippers always have weight corrections, estimate weights, don’t include pallet or dunnage weights, or go by theoretical weights. A good tip off to reweigh is when your see the billed weight exactly at 100# increments. Very unusual something weighs, 100, 500, 1,000, 1,200lbs even.

They weigh freight because some shippers always have weight corrections, estimate weights, don’t include pallet or dunnage weights, or go by theoretical weights. A good tip off to reweigh is when your see the billed weight exactly at 100# increments. Very unusual something weighs, 100, 500, 1,000, 1,200lbs even.
We had an 8 pallet load out of dollar tree warehouse last night, they estimated it at 5500…… first pallet of similar product throughout was around 1200 so only off by a small 4100 on those 8 pallets

I know why they do it, but FedEx takes it to the extreme and I'm pretty sure they were sued for up charging customers based on weight. When reweighing and dimensioning having something on the shipment (a strap, a piece of cardboard etc)! Is grounds for corrective action, though I've never seen that enforced.

Employees inflating the weight is a recipe for disaster and ABF may find themselves in the same position FedEx was in a few years ago. It also damages trust with customers that know what their item weighs. They don't think an employee is doing it for prizes, they think the company is trying to get over on them.. That's a hard bridge to rebuild.

That's how lawsuits happen. FedEx has been using this system since I started working here. Initially it was random (I think) and now every piece of freight gets weighed and dimensioned multiple times through it's shipping. I think they started doing that because they got sued for fraudulent charges.
multiple reweighs / dimensions from multi terminals help the weight and research department defend those corrections.

yellow was sued by the department of defense regarding their reweighs. https://www.freightwaves.com/news/y... accused of reweighing,-year-old civil matter.

Specifically, the government alleged that Yellow operating companies — YRC Freight, Yellow Transportation and Roadway Express — inflated shipment weights, billed the Defense Department using improper rates and falsified statements in efforts to conceal their actions. Yellow was accused of reweighing thousands of shipments and not returning the overpayments when the shipments were lighter than originally estimated.