ABF | Snow and ice storm

I know 041 utility runs were not running Tuesday by act of god call as no freight was making it to Carlisle to fill trailers

Indeed.

I have watched it grow and evolve in real time over the years. I based my go and no go decisions in part on what they present in real time.

Its not me and my chains and so on all that I worry about. Its the others having to take remedial ice driving all over again every year. Dozens of accidents etc in storm time.

Theres another ice storm pending monday morning for Ft Smith to Russelville etc. (Mena thence to about Clinton due to altitude etc rain for the rest of us here in the lowlands. Then rain tuesday.

Sometimes they pop up with a real time happening or accident etc (Or even a bridge failure like the recent one at Jacksonville when the pavement fell through that 1958 deck two weeks ago) while I am downtown and it makes further decision making to avoid the problem which is possible.

Its at its absolute best service to us all in the first tornado season followed by the usual flooding rains about spring time.

Oh yes, the dear Commonwealth.

There used to be a little hardware type lumber store above Fishertown off 56 route in PA. I had one job, be there at 8 AM sharp not 801 etc. with transloaded import lumber off NS Railroad in Hagerstown the previous day.

The problem with that customer in winter is that they sit on top of Babcock Ridge State Park. Its straight up above a 210 degree turn back loop at the bottom. When empty as a flat bed now I have to get back down that in glare ice.

Stuff like that makes me want to have a few drinks to take the shake out of my end of day yard paper work at the Company Office.

I also lost 8 trucks in convoy west of Knoxville during the realignment of the I-40 at the canyon curve there. Me and number two jackknifed properly on that ice and got it back. But the next 8 did not. One flatbed fell backwards trailer first applying power to his axles to stay upright as he fell in the median. I put the blame on TENN DOT. Failure to plow, sand etc.

Yes trucking is quite the life. If you can keep sane in this adventure. Always some stupid Dispatcher sitting in a nice safe space telling me to have this load WHERE? They can drive it.

004 sent out the road board all day Wednesday. My understanding is that several of the smaller terminals in the South were closed Tuesday due to bad roads. I was not at work Tuesday, but I do know that some of our road board did get out Tuesday.
I don't miss going to work on nights in weather like we have had the last week. Working breakdowns on the side of the road was not fun. Stay warm SOR. Hope the yard tractors have good heaters.

Over 10 tractor trailer wrecks in Knoxville area alone friday morning the 19th. Also no doubles or empties in Pa friday.
I don’t know why we got an inch of snow in Scranton/ Wilkes Barre area. All bids were canceled, worked 5 guys today & could have used a few more. I run the Pocono’s two days a week & they had 4+ inches twice in the past two weeks & the bids weren’t canceled. Could it be a recoup for MLK day?

I don’t know why we got an inch of snow in Scranton/ Wilkes Barre area. All bids were canceled, worked 5 guys today & could have used a few more. I run the Pocono’s two days a week & they had 4+ inches twice in the past two weeks & the bids weren’t canceled. Could it be a recoup for MLK day?
The Nanny State is getting out of hand. The politicians close roads down for the flimsiest reasons anymore.

Now I know I am aging badly. Forgetting basic trucking winter stuff like glad hands.

If it is not a rubber based line (Plastic ones) it will break and leave you with a locked up brake system right there. Usually you had extras in the clean box and tools to strip off the busted lines and bolt on the new ones in a couple of minutes get going again.

I become afraid when I consider 20 years later people come here from overseas to be a trucker for 30 cents a mile and are not taught how to replace spare parts or airlines and so on in plain winter time.

Its horrifying how much ::shit:: I forgot about lately. And as far as the little wee winter storm? Thats not a storm. The last good storm in winter was back about 1993 when we had 60 foot to 80 foot drifts. A friend of mine had to dig his Schnider Orange truck out from under 50 feet of the stuff, took him about 40 hours while dispatch filled his qualcomm, are you moving yet? You are getting late to General Mills Cereal. What are you doing wasting time and so on. nag nag nag.

Then got bitchy and abusive. he got the damn thing dug out but cannot move off the land he had it parked at because front end loaders for State Highways had buried him again.

He went home. Lost I think 9 days before being able to get up there to load for the midwest if I remember right. The pay? Its not worth it. But damn was that a proper winter storm. A poster said the snow had to be above this line on the trailer here. I tell you the whole damn rig is covered over at this point.