ABF | Using AI to Plan City Routes

CDL holder

with all endorsements
Credits
Has anyone had any experience with whether this is working or not? Hasn't UPS used something like this for decades, with no left turns being a primary goal?

ArcBest saves $1M per month with AI routing tech​

The city route optimization tool helps its LTL, ABF Freight, reduce mileage and decrease fuel consumption.

ABF spent millions of Dollars on a routing system. The inbound supervisor with very little experience or knowledge of the streets would ignore the routing and just load freight on city runs so it wouldn't be on the dock when the terminal manager came in the morning. It was hilarious, we would have city guys passing each other all day. We would even be at the same stops at the same time with each of us only having one pallet a piece to deliver. and God help you if you tried to point this out. They held employee meetings on company time to tell you if you see something wrong report it to a supervisor, and if you did this you were labeled a troublemaker and problem employee.

Last edited:
ABF spent millions of Dollars on a routing system. The inbound supervisor with very little experience or knowledge of the streets would ignore the routing and just load freight on city runs so it wouldn't be on the dock when the terminal manager came in the morning. It was hilarious, we would have city guys passing each other all day. We would even be at the same stops at the same time with each of us only having one pallet a piece to deliver. and God help you if you tried to point this out. They held employee meetings on company time to tell you if you see something wrong report it to a supervisor, and if you did this you were labeled a troublemaker and problem employee.
Same exact thing at my barn....my steward actually took a picture of a guy picking up at a customer while he was delivering two dock doors down......can't make this up.....I have gone 25 miles out of my way to do a pickup only to pass another ABF driver 3 miles away from the pickup....after he had driven by it!!!

Same exact thing at my barn....my steward actually took a picture of a guy picking up at a customer while he was delivering two dock doors down......can't make this up.....I have gone 25 miles out of my way to do a pickup only to pass another ABF driver 3 miles away from the pickup....after he had driven by it!!!
Carlisle has been watching our routes questioning why the driver didn't go a certain way. The answer is, they didn't remove the low bridges they didn't change the weight limits & they cant avoid contractors for closing streets. Also by going a mile out of my to avoid making a dangerous right hander with a 53 then that's what I'm going to do. It's been working for the last 33 years (knock on wood)

Carlisle has been watching our routes questioning why the driver didn't go a certain way. The answer is, they didn't remove the low bridges they didn't change the weight limits & they cant avoid contractors for closing streets. Also by going a mile out of my to avoid making a dangerous right hander with a 53 then that's what I'm going to do. It's been working for the last 33 years (knock on wood)
Doesn't that give you a headache after a while, the knock on wood I mean? :poke: :hide::hysterical:

Looks like he got railroaded. :idunno:
Here we go, let us keep this topic on track.
Celebrate In Love GIF by Max