XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said you can change how they operate only your work rules and compensation package.

You still talking out side of you head with 10 years if you don’t get it now don’t worry.

I’m not a fan of TDU you would see that if you wasn’t just blurting put anything that comes to thought due to me saying there is a business side to union in protection of membership. Example of is when driver is terminated or discharged or just a grievance with significant meaning behind it that the company will deadlock and has to go regional and national committees for arbitration. White paper contracts don’t have committees for cases to be heard so money has to be spent to hire federal arbitrator(not cheap). Cost money to fight UPS in grievances they have plenty of money to fight cases, if the IBT fought back on every single case against them it would bankrupt a local.

Rest of your post is driver lounge opinions from your side which don’t know, but continue I still don’t mind correcting you.

And again you answered nothing. Ignored everything I said to you. Why respond if you aren't even reading the post ?

I guess what I'm saying Roadboss is to some people it looks like this is a winning cause for a union , any union or all unions to fight for ...BUT why should they or WHY would they fight to end the overtime exemption IF it threatens the need for unions? ( or at the very least it threatens one of the main reasons why drivers seek out unions )

They boast about how over 100 years ago the union got child labor protections. Established the 40 hour work week. So on. Why wouldn't they want to be able to add that working past a 40 hour work week got you time and a half was their doing as well ? Damn good question.

Thats a battle that we can’t win right now.In some cases drivers salary might double if your over the road and not on mileage .This would not be very popular with politians owner operators and companies Iam al for changing the rules to overtime after eight for every one .When you find a way to get every one to agree to pay more for goods and services ,let me know we will give you a good paying job as a salaried position.

How did California come to it's conclusion on this then ? Why are you saying it like it's impossible ?

Or lose. Every fight has a winner and a loser. That's the trick. No one goes into a fight thinking how great it would be to lose.

Anything is possible, but the more bullets in the gun, the better chance of hitting your target. Lets face facts...the THREAT of a strike is the best tool in the union toolbox. Maybe more so than a strike itself. If one or two terminals decide to strike, we have maybe a 50/50 chance of success. Who blinks first??? If 20 or 30 terminals stand strong together, we win.

And then you find out your claim was denied. Happened to my father. And the folks that worked at CF. And many others.

Contracts can go bad. Or even really bad. Of course, there are good ones too. Just saying that it isn't a giving that it will be a good thing.

Job security. Yeah. They can talk that up. The union can keep you a job. So long as there is a job to be had.

Lots of assumptions on both ends. Things go wrong sometimes. I still maintain that in the big picture, and especially considering the willingness of both unions and companies to negotiate a FAIR contract that saves jobs and doesn't bankrupt companies, we are extremely better off with union representation. One reason why I don't understand the union bashing with respect to the YRC negotiations. They haven't even begun yet. Company financials are disclosed, correct? The union will negotiate the best contract possible based on those financials. Without the union, we would NEVER see those financials. There would be no negotiation. We would get whatever the company felt like giving...or taking.

I guess what I'm saying Roadboss is to some people it looks like this is a winning cause for a union , any union or all unions to fight for ...BUT why should they or WHY would they fight to end the overtime exemption IF it threatens the need for unions? ( or at the very least it threatens one of the main reasons why drivers seek out unions )

Don't most LTL's already have OT after 40? I'll agree it's a reason to seek union representation, but I think there are many more reasons for doing so. If OT after 8 became Federal Law, companies would still do their best to cut hours.

I don't think it really threatens the need for unions. We see the situation as it is and the limited power of unions thanks to a declining membership, although I think that's slowly turning around. Imagine if there were no unions...who would set the bar then? Do you trust Mr. Jacobs to show the love he promised? He's already shown how disingenuous that comment was. Would any company offer one cent more than absolutely necessary to retain even the worst drivers? And when compensation packages are at their lowest and the seats are filled with incompetent idiots, they'll be comforted in the reality that everyone's service sucks and shippers have no where else to go. They'll reduce this industry to the lowest common denominator with no real incentive to do better.
I will tell you one thing I know for sure. When Miami began it's campaign in the summer of 2014, Laredo had just certified,. The company was terrified that this would spread like wild fire. I transferred to Miami in 2011. We had 22 of 45 tractors WITHOUT A/C. Truth! They were replacing them at a rate of 2 or 3 per year. By June of 2014, every one was gone. 15 5th wheels were replaced by Ryder. We got a 2.03 bump on the .46 cent raise that we received in April. LOI's stopped completely. There was a new attitude of respect from management. Coffee and donuts and pizza flowed like ::shit:: through a goose.

Management actually became accustomed to this new attitude. They liked it and we liked them for, at least for the most part. There is a managerial revolving door in Miami. They come and they go. I have never had any issues with my immediate supervisors. I liked them all...except one. The current group is better than ever. I like them even better and I have a great working relationship with them. ALL OF THE ISSUES IN MIAMI ORIGINATE WITH UPPER MANAGEMENT. NO MATTER HOW HARD MY LOCAL MANAGEMENT TRIES AND NO MATTER HOW MANY GOOD SUGGESTIONS THEY OFFER, THEY GET NO RESPONSE FROM THE BIG BOYS. iT'S REALLY SAD.

Our terminal is already ahead of the rest of the company despite the fact we don't have a final contract yet. We are paying 2016 insurance premiums and have 2016 better coverage. We have a side agreement for grievance and arbitration for job security . We are the same hourly rate as other terminals in our area. We have a 2 week waiting period for short and long term disability vs the rest of the company now at 4 weeks. We still have 5 bereavement days vs 3 for the rest of the company. We haven't paid dime for union dues yet and will not till we have a signed agreement with no back dues dues owed. I know the local has spent spent tens of thousands in legal fees and untold hours in our behalf since our vote. It would take many years of dues to even come close to reimbursing money spent.
I think this is a pretty good example of what can happen with representation so far.

And then you find out your claim was denied. Happened to my father. And the folks that worked at CF. And many others.

Contracts can go bad. Or even really bad. Of course, there are good ones too. Just saying that it isn't a giving that it will be a good thing.

Job security. Yeah. They can talk that up. The union can keep you a job. So long as there is a job to be had.
The best job security you can have is ,Show up on time do what they tell you,If if it’s safe of coarse and don’t expect any more than any body else.Then there are some that take the leisure to visit the managers office every morning ,but ther just there to get there daily protein ,:butt kiss::moon2:And they still get nothing more than any one else.

Hard pass. This is not a thread about highspeeds. Personal attacks are uncalled for. If you want further understanding of my opinions. You are free to ask. But I am not in anyway obligated to respond. I have been typing away on these forums for a very long time. Nothing gets me the time out button quicker than the whole damn thread being about me. Which ain't fair to me at all. I ain't you, the one who is making me the topic. I am just enjoying the act of participating in the conversation. But I am the one who gets punished. That is what gets taken away. My ability to participate.

So, none of your damn business. Follow the conversation.
You made a statement and I asked you nicely to respond and that’s it Bud!!!!You claim you were one a steward and a union man Tell us how you got screwed!!!Thats a conversation for a union thread isn’t it .

You made a statement and I asked you nicely to respond and that’s it Bud!!!!You claim you were one a steward and a union man Tell us how you got screwed!!!Thats a conversation for a union thread isn’t it .
In a thread a long time ago I think Highspeeds elaborated on his union time. I vaguely remember he worked for Coke or Pepsi.

In the past , the standards were MUCH higher for LTL jobs so you HAD to have experience to even THINK about driving for ANY of the big companies...sooooooo that means MOST of the older drivers have EXPERIENCE from othe jobs. Union and non-union.

Fast forward to now , and a lot of drivers have no real experience and no frame of reference for what a good job is or a bad job.

The audience you need to reach nowadays to make a union push typically have no idea what a union is supposed to do and have never seen or experienced "good benefits" ( in fact , they may think the current situation with benefits at XPO is completely fine compared to how bad things are in general with most jobs )

How did California come to it's conclusion on this then ? Why are you saying it like it's impossible ?
You know they do things very differently out there than any place else,It’s never impossible,If there’s a will then there is away.But I lived in So Cal for 6 months long and ,they are very different out there.Nobodys a native ,There all from some place else looking for something that is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.