Yellow | Yellow Bankruptcy & The Devastation of Corporate Greed

Hmm....if this extortion, then maybe someone needs to call the authorities....it would be called supply and demand....simply if you don't meet the bargaining units wishes, they won't work for less...
Correct!
22,000 Yellow Teamsters refused to work for less. Where are they now? The vast majority are working for less with less paid time off and fewer benefits.

And yet you had no problem working under that same scenario for thirty years. And now that you draw your 30-year pension every month, you think it is wrong for everyone else to try to do the same???
The word for that escapes me at the moment. Maybe someone will come along and remind me of what that is called!!!
The word is generational. In case you haven't noticed, it is no longer 1980, when the NMFA covered 450,000 members at 16,000 companies.
Oh, I forgot. That was under regulation. Regulation being government control of the privately owned transportation industry. A system that ignored free market capitalism, the foundation that created the greatest standard of living on the planet.

The word is generational. In case you haven't noticed, it is no longer 1980, when the NMFA covered 450,000 members at 16,000 companies.
Oh, I forgot. That was under regulation. Regulation being government control of the privately owned transportation industry. A system that ignored free market capitalism, the foundation that created the greatest standard of living on the planet.
Correct me if I am wrong, but did you not say that you retired from Yellow in 2004? That would mean that you worked 24 of your 30 years with Preston and Yellow “AFTER“ regulation of the trucking industry ended.
So, why did you even start working for a “Union Carrier” if you thought that working under a “Union Contract” had the potential to subject the company to “Extortion” (as you described it)?
It was OK for you to do this for thirty years and then draw your thirty year pension that was the result of “Extortion” (again, as you described it)?
But now, it is wrong for others to work under a Union contract and draw a pension when they retire?
Help me to understand this in a way that does not make you sound like that word that starts with an “H” and ends with an “E”!!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but did you not say that you retired from Yellow in 2004? That would mean that you worked 24 of your 30 years with Preston and Yellow “AFTER“ regulation of the trucking industry ended.
So, why did you even start working for a “Union Carrier” if you thought that working under a “Union Contract” had the potential to subject the company to “Extortion” (as you described it)?
It was OK for you to do this for thirty years and then draw your thirty year pension that was the result of “Extortion” (again, as you described it)?
But now, it is wrong for others to work under a Union contract and draw a pension when they retire?
Help me to understand this in a way that does not make you sound like that word that starts with an “H” and ends with an “E”!!!
Yup, I accepted the reality of deregulation. As the industry changed with access to the markets and competitive pricing, I relocated 2 times, gladly accepted a couple of reductions in pay and lost a weeks vacation. Preston closed and I went to Yellow where I took an additional 15% reduction to start at 70% of the rate with no earned vacation time. I appreciated Yellow's giving me an opportunity at 50 years old.
I did not send out resumes stating 25 years experience including Ohio and Indiana triples licenses, hazmat and tanker endorsements and 2 million accident free miles. No resume stating that as a one seniority board Teamster, I had worked every job available including linehaul, P&D, dock and yard. I did not demand top pay and PTO because I knew that for the past 25 years, I had been grossly overpaid. How did I know that? I knew it because my skills would not command that level of compensation in the free market. Not a single displaced Yellow Teamster sat in front of a potential employer and said, "this is what you will pay me".
You would think that reasonable people seeing the decimation of unionized LTL would stop clinging to the 50 year old model of defined benefit pensions, no deductible, no premium healthcare and outdated work rules and classifications. Only unionized trucking believes that warehouse labor is worth the same rate of pay as a skilled CDL driver with multiple endorsements.

Yup, I accepted the reality of deregulation. As the industry changed with access to the markets and competitive pricing, I relocated 2 times, gladly accepted a couple of reductions in pay and lost a weeks vacation. Preston closed and I went to Yellow where I took an additional 15% reduction to start at 70% of the rate with no earned vacation time. I appreciated Yellow's giving me an opportunity at 50 years old.
I did not send out resumes stating 25 years experience including Ohio and Indiana triples licenses, hazmat and tanker endorsements and 2 million accident free miles. No resume stating that as a one seniority board Teamster, I had worked every job available including linehaul, P&D, dock and yard. I did not demand top pay and PTO because I knew that for the past 25 years, I had been grossly overpaid. How did I know that? I knew it because my skills would not command that level of compensation in the free market. Not a single displaced Yellow Teamster sat in front of a potential employer and said, "this is what you will pay me".
You would think that reasonable people seeing the decimation of unionized LTL would stop clinging to the 50 year old model of defined benefit pensions, no deductible, no premium healthcare and outdated work rules and classifications. Only unionized trucking believes that warehouse labor is worth the same rate of pay as a skilled CDL driver with multiple endorsements.
Nice little dance you did around my question there Blade!!!
The question was, why was it OK for you work a job that you thought was wrong and subjected your employer to “extortion”, but now that you are retired and drawing a pension from what was negotiated for you, it is somehow wrong for others to do the same???

So what's just profitable enough to feel like your employer is going to be around for awhile without feeling like that profit is coming at the expense of the employee?
That's a good question, I saw Yellow properties selling for close to $200 MILLION.
Operating at a 90 will no longer generate that type of profit for that level of investment.

Where did he get 22,000 wouldn't work for less? Does he know anything? That's not right someone can be allowed to be on here every day for no other reason than to just make trouble, no way he really believes what he says

And I’ve never heard about anyone telling any potential employer that their employees are “grossly overpaid” either during a proposal meeting. Also you should actually read the last contract. You’ll find that the full time dock workers had a separate pay scale from cdl drivers, smart guy.

You’ll find that the full time dock workers had a separate pay scale from cdl drivers, smart guy.
They can have a separate pay scale and still make essentially the same for 2 completely different skill sets.

When I started in the industry under local 396, the starting pay for dock was higher than starting P&D and rightfully so. Dock was much more physically demanding and the hours sucked. Top scale was much higher for drivers as the skills and experience commanded it.

Hostler pay matched P&D and didn't require a CDL. Hostlers did a whole lot more 'work' than P&D but had about 3.75% of the responsibility, dealt with none of the traffic a‐holes, but also enjoyed none of the autonomy.

You forgot, HE gets a full Pension too.