ABF | Driver-facing Cameras

I don't know Bro. Von......I was an O/O for 9 years,.....and the old saying about "Out of the Frying Pan..." comes to mind....

Besides,....just like E-logs, they will eventually force O/O's to put cameras in their own trucks,...or risk not getting insurance. Remember who is pushing for this,.....Insurance companies.......If it was up to the truck company owners,....we'd hardly have any gauges, no power steering, no air,.....and be sitting on an orange crate with foam rubber padding....(..USED foam rubber at that..)....

You and I are old enough to remember '70's freight trucks.......stripped down to the point of ludicrousness......If it was more profitable for them to have whale oil headlamps,....we would've been lighting them every night.........

Companies spend money to make things SAFE for drivers?........Are you kidding?.......Still no mandatory airbags in trucks.....Cost too much to possibly save a driver's life.....

But cameras?....and the cost?........Insurance companies told carriers to install them....to REDUCE the Liability exposure to the Insured Trucks.......

THAT'S what is most important to trucking companies........Lower Operating Costs.......in spite of all the mealy-mouthing about how a driver-facing camera might...."exonerate"....a driver....

Yeah, Right......Pull the Other One.......
Your post reminded me about a lot of unsafe tractors. Time & technology advances. So they are a double edge sword. 1984 Orwell's book has come true & even gained more big brother watching laws & actions by employers & government. Hindsight is easy. I would take a dock bid or change jobs if I had to drive something from the 70's. First tractor I drove was a cab over Pete with a 13 speed Fuller Road Ranger. Looked @ the gear shifter & said of shi**. But we learn to carry on. Safe or not. Back then we didn't know the difference. A pre-trip inspection? The tires look good, start engine, release brakes, & drive. von.

You forgot to shout: “ Yee-HAW!” when it started to roll........

Seriously.......companies have always scrimped as much as they could......sometimes to the point of ridiculousness.
Type in “Cab-Under Tractor”.......Gaze in wonderment that some ticky-tacky corporate type actually THOUGHT that was a......”good idea”.....

Probably earned him a pat on the head from the CFO of the company.......who also wouldn’t be risking HIS life driving it down the road........

Wouldn’t that be a .......wonderful tractor to put a “forward/rearward- facing camera in?

A good view of the inside of a Volkswagen tailpipe as they stop dead in front of you........and the horror-stricken face of the driver as he tries to push the footbrake out the front of the tractor.....

Fatal every time a truck driver runs in to the back of someone when he is 3 feet off the pavement. Saves on the cost of a casket. Hillenbrand Industries in Batesville, IN would not be happy. Casket sales would plummet. von.

Your post reminded me about a lot of unsafe tractors. Time & technology advances. So they are a double edge sword. 1984 Orwell's book has come true & even gained more big brother watching laws & actions by employers & government. Hindsight is easy. I would take a dock bid or change jobs if I had to drive something from the 70's. First tractor I drove was a cab over Pete with a 13 speed Fuller Road Ranger. Looked @ the gear shifter & said of shi**. But we learn to carry on. Safe or not. Back then we didn't know the difference. A pre-trip inspection? The tires look good, start engine, release brakes, & drive. von.

You didn't bleed the air tanks.

I am here to tell you guys that there definately is a grievance on driver-facing cameras filed in the Western Pennsylvania area.
We'll have to see how it goes, but it is based on "condition of employment"....and employer's discriminately assigning of camera-equipped trucks.....(..or truck, in this case..).....

Employers are trying to foist cameras off on....MANY companies at once..... It SEEMS like some sort of a national strategy,......As we understand it,...TNFINC has imposed a....temporary....moratorium on driver-facing cameras, while they stall....Oops!....I meant "investigate".....

Where are you at,...Teamsters Union? Ain't just freight.......

Curious.....Has anyone else filed a grievance in their Local area on the companies' use of driver-facing cameras?

And,.....Has anyone seen that the City of San Francisco has decided that face-recognition cameras viewing the entire population.....are an invasion of privacy, a violation of Civil Rights,...and will no longer be used in the City Limits?

The Teamsters TNFINC committee has a ...temporary moratorium on cameras.....in the Freight industry only......

What about carhaul? tanker? flatbed? cement mixer? All of those are Teamsters, too. Does the....moratorium...pertain only to....Freight?

Anyone else fighting this?

Curious.....Has anyone else filed a grievance in their Local area on the companies' use of driver-facing cameras?

And,.....Has anyone seen that the City of San Francisco has decided that face-recognition cameras viewing the entire population.....are an invasion of privacy, a violation of Civil Rights,...and will no longer be used in the City Limits?

The Teamsters TNFINC committee has a ...temporary moratorium on cameras.....in the Freight industry only......

What about carhaul? tanker? flatbed? cement mixer? All of those are Teamsters, too. Does the....moratorium...pertain only to....Freight?

Anyone else fighting this?
We are getting them in carhaul at my place outward facing only nothing looking at the driver, the shop guys clued us in on that since they are installing them. makes me no difference since it outward only I ran my own for years anyways

We are getting them in carhaul at my place outward facing only nothing looking at the driver, the shop guys clued us in on that since they are installing them. makes me no difference since it outward only I ran my own for years anyways
If you still have the equipment, you still might want to run your own as well.

Last edited:
3uBrS09.jpg

What it means is all trucks will have cameras installed before turning them on . So no driver can have a grievance that's why my trucks has one or doesn't have one when the other drivers truck is different. The company out smarted them. They are there. So turn them all on same day by removing cover before you leave yard . Bye bye grievance. So how many are going to retire now over it?