Estes | Safety Vests

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
We are being told all drivers will be given an orange safety vest that we are required to wear when ever out of the tractor on company property. I heard 2 different stories as to why. 1 Somebody got hit by hit by forklift on dock , and 2 somebody got hit on a yard. I don't know which is true, but was told when they come in we better have them on or face discipline. From my understanding its company wide.

I got mine and opened it out of the pack. It's a cheap velcro type. I went to pull the velcro apart to put it on and the velcro on one side of the vest ripped completely off the vest. A multi billion dollar company purchases a 1.99 vest. I expect to see a lot of drivers just buy their own because these thing aren't gonna last a week being put on and taken off.

I don’t really get down with the safety vest fashion trend. Estes doesn’t own a forklift or a truck fast enough to hit me. It’s rather silly that it’s come to this, where guys aren’t aware of their surroundings and many aren’t physically able to even get out of their own way it’s pathetic.

I don’t really get down with the safety vest fashion trend. Estes doesn’t own a forklift or a truck fast enough to hit me. It’s rather silly that it’s come to this, where guys aren’t aware of their surroundings and many aren’t physically able to even get out of their own way it’s pathetic.
I posted this before, We had a line driver get out of his tractor with his cool cushion over his head in heavy rain.
He stepped in front of his tractor and was run over and killed by the switcher.
A safety vest would not have made any difference, but things like this can happen.

I posted this before, We had a line driver get out of his tractor with his cool cushion over his head in heavy rain.
He stepped in front of his tractor and was run over and killed by the switcher.
A safety vest would not have made any difference, but things like this can happen.
The yard hostlers do be flying in some of the terminals. If you are checking your seal on lead pup you better look out if there is an open space beside you because they will scotch on down beside you without looking to drop another set.

I wish they’d go with the reflective tape on our shirts and jackets. It’s a pain in the ass to keep track of a reflective vest, not to mention trying to put it over a jacket when it’s cold.
Also the ones they supplied are so cheap the velcro sticks to the vest and tears it up and trying to keep anything from sticking to it is a job not to mention trying to keep it clean. If you wash it in a washer just be aware it may come out torn up. I like you would think a multi billion dollar company could afford us new uniforms and jackets with the reflective stripes. Heck as much as they have been boasting about growing and all the yellow deals they got they could spread the wealth toward some visible uniforms. I guess the 1.99 vest was their cheapest way out.

Pyle instituted a safety vest policy several years ago. They supply us with decent zip up vests. Also we get yearly safety awards with high vis options. Some have gone and bought their own shirts etc more for fit and comfort. As long as the item meets the specs, company is fine with it