ABF | Central States Pension Contributions

Brother SOR, when I researched whether to retire early, before 62, my full pension retirement age, I kept doing the math on my guaranteed income vs my net pay from the last 3 years. My net income for this year, 2023, is 56,568. That works out to $4,903 a month. That is in close to my net income for the last 3 years. My wife hasn't worked (at a paying job 😃) in 8 years and we live well. My pension is $3,000 and my SS will be $2,100 in 2 years, my wife SS (63yrs) will be $1,000. So my guaranteed income will be $6,100 vs $4,900 now. I just couldn't see working 20 months to receive an extra $500 from CSPF. I will have to pay $359 X 2 =$718 for health insurance. But I just can't see not retiring early. I mention this because I see we are about the same age and so our healthiest years are are retiring quickly. Soon we will be in our 70's and not as healthy. Just how I'm looking at life brother.
I agree, and I too would probably retire ASAP if it were not for my wife’s health. She is type-1 diabetic (34-years) and a cancer survivor (1-year).
And, it is my understanding that Central States (TeamCare) caps the insurance at $350,000.00 per calendar year per person once you are retired. As long as I am working, there is no cap to my understanding.
I know $350,000.00 sounds like a lot, but I can assure you that one organ transplant would most likely go above that limit. And diabetes definitely affects the organs.
So, I will most likely be working until at least age 65.
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement my friend!!!
You have certainly earned it brother!!!

I agree, and I too would probably retire ASAP if it were not for my wife’s health. She is type-1 diabetic (34-years) and a cancer survivor (1-year).
And, it is my understanding that Central States (TeamCare) caps the insurance at $350,000.00 per calendar year per person once you are retired. As long as I am working, there is no cap to my understanding.
I know $350,000.00 sounds like a lot, but I can assure you that one organ transplant would most likely go above that limit. And diabetes definitely affects the organs.
Sorry, I forgot about your wife health problems. I remember you posting that before. And the cap is $350,000 on health insurance.

I was hoping to stay until age 62 but the stress of traffic and construction and accidents and distracted drivers and insane drivers all are getting to me. Go40 posted something on the Yellow thread about how bad this industry is getting; and I absolutely agree with him.

May be an image of text

I have a close friend who retired from YELLOW, Mariette GA, 17 months ago. He had 22yrs 4 months contributed to CSPF. He retired at full retirement age, 66 and 4 months, and he gets just over $1,300. The company that keeps on taking.
I worked ABF Indy from October 1998 until January 2015. All my time in the union was with ABF. My gross check from Central States for 17 years vested is 2,040.00. I am one of the lucky ones. von

I worked ABF Indy from October 1998 until January 2015. All my time in the union was with ABF. My gross check from Central States for 17 years vested is 2,040.00. I am one of the lucky ones. von

You did good von. That and SS makes a big difference.
Yes, it does can make a big difference in your lifestyle. Do you eat ground round 7030 or do you eat? Prime rib and cut does make a difference.

That is bullcrap should be no cap!

That is a very cool that you're standing by. Your wife. Who suffer from a lot of ailments?. I'm sure she thinks years ago that it was the best 'Yes', that she ever said. You do give honor to the words in sickness and health. von.