ABF | Lack Of Representation Rochester NY Local 118

Wow chappey, I can relate to that. Many years ago I gathered over 100 signatures from a 110 man board about an issue we protested. When the time came at a showdown meeting with company and Union, not a peep from any of those 100. Talk is cheap. :idunno:
Sorry to hear that, Lot of tough guys out there till it's time to stand up and be counted, had a few guys who thought I was too tough on the company, would tell them to stay the fxck away from me, ain't got no time for punks or bullshit, I got a job to run

You must exhaust your grievance options under your contract before the Feds will do anything.
I would bet this has already had a decision from a panel somewhere around the country. Find out where and force it down their throats.
Climb the chain of Teamster command that chappy has pointed out

You must exhaust your grievance options under your contract before the Feds will do anything.
I would bet this has already had a decision from a panel somewhere around the country. Find out where and force it down their throats.
Arbitration and L.R.B. get a little wonky at times, I had a discharge case, decision was to be final and binding, we won, company would not accept the decision and took it to civil court, we won again. Had another case, member was given some goods, didn't know it was stolen, company fires him, files criminal charges, has him arrested, go to court, he's found not guilty, he had his own lawyer, go to arbitration to win job back, and we lose.

Is there somewhere online I can find prior decisions? I don't give up easily...

I think SOR could answer that question better. However always have a paper trail and this should answer any question about recording any conversations.
New York State Law New York is a one-party consent state. This means that only one party must consent to the recording of an in-person or telephone conversation. In other words, if you are a party to the conversation, you may record without the other person's consent
You are correct. Indiana has the same law. von.

Not that I know of.
I Know that their are minutes taken at hearings.
The Union and the company keep track of decisions to reference when things like this come up.
KK ??
Fwiu, once upon a time, every local had a big book of supplemental grievance decisions. This has given way to horse trading and backroom deals, based on "who gains what". A lot of the locals only want to keep the peace, in hopes of gaining more work. The old "past practice/maintenance of standards" absolutely no longer applies.

I was sold out by a BA in PA over solid layoff language, at the beginning of COVID, because the BA and the guy that ran my company vacationed together. I guess when I said "my guys could die over your cheap load"the BA heard that and worried about losing his spot in Myrtle Beach. We all quit shortly thereafter.

Fwiw, this was a white paper contract based off the old nmfa steel supplement.

The ibt is "only" 3/4 as scummy as your local management, in my experience.

Fwiu, once upon a time, every local had a big book of supplemental grievance decisions. This has given way to horse trading and backroom deals, based on "who gains what". A lot of the locals only want to keep the peace, in hopes of gaining more work. The old "past practice/maintenance of standards" absolutely no longer applies.

I was sold out by a BA in PA over solid layoff language, at the beginning of COVID, because the BA and the guy that ran my company vacationed together. I guess when I said "my guys could die over your cheap load"the BA heard that and worried about losing his spot in Myrtle Beach. We all quit shortly thereafter.

This is not really new, these deals were made 30-plus years ago.

To your first paragraph I asked about a book of interpretations, our good friend SOR told me about that long ago....I was told we don't have one at my local....I mentioned we should check with other locals in my region....amazingly no one has them....do I believe this? HELL NO.....the only reason I got the LOA copy after many years of having my grievances tossed was I mentioned to my steward I wasn't letting this go and I was reading up on the NLRB about non representation...all of a sudden my BA "found" the LOA...this is after a few grievance meetings with Eric B, the employee relations guy in Carlisle, who never once mentioned the LOA in any meetings about the grievances over the years....

Also an update on my situation.....called the local, left a message for the President....also wrote an email to the Teamsters Eastern Region Freight Director, he did call me and after a lengthy conversation he did agree with me and told me that he would tell my BA next grievance has to go to panel, which is good news except one that the BA tossed was a forced 15 hour 9 minute day...I'm sure it will happen again, but right now they are being more careful with me, so I don't think it will happen again till summer, but I guess that's better than never...

Also an update on my situation.....called the local, left a message for the President....also wrote an email to the Teamsters Eastern Region Freight Director, he did call me and after a lengthy conversation he did agree with me and told me that he would tell my BA next grievance has to go to panel, which is good news except one that the BA tossed was a forced 15 hour 9 minute day...I'm sure it will happen again, but right now they are being more careful with me, so I don't think it will happen again till summer, but I guess that's better than never...
Do not work anymore forced overtime! Tell management if you are tired Safety Break 392.3. file a grievance specifically with this included. https://csa.fmcsa.dot.gov/safetyplanner/MyFiles/SubSections.aspx?ch=23&sec=68&sub=163

To your first paragraph I asked about a book of interpretations, our good friend SOR told me about that long ago....I was told we don't have one at my local....I mentioned we should check with other locals in my region....amazingly no one has them....do I believe this? HELL NO.....the only reason I got the LOA copy after many years of having my grievances tossed was I mentioned to my steward I wasn't letting this go and I was reading up on the NLRB about non representation...all of a sudden my BA "found" the LOA...this is after a few grievance meetings with Eric B, the employee relations guy in Carlisle, who never once mentioned the LOA in any meetings about the grievances over the years....
I was told that our book of past grievances was thrown out when the local was put into trusteeship….WTF

I wish the IBT could clone my current BA and use him at every Teamster Local. I guarantee you that sh*t would get done if my BA was in charge of representing your case. And if you have no case or there is a previous ruling already on the topic, he would tell you and explain the previous decision to you. And I can tell you for a fact that the grievance panels work off of previous decisions no different than a court of law does. That way, there is consistency in the decisions made. It may not be a decision you like, but it is based off of previous decisions none the less. The only exception that I know of is if there is new contract language added that would dispute the previous decision. That being said, an actual grievance hearing is not the same as “local talks”. Local talks are used to try and settle any grievances filed between local management and the Local Union before they go to grievance. In my experience here at the Rock, the vast majority of grievances are settled at these “local talks”. Sometimes in the members favor, and sometimes in the company’s favor. If my BA can show me that I have no case because of contract language or a previous ruling, there is no sense in taking it to the grievance panel. But, my BA would never drop a grievance filed by myself or another member without first explaining why I have no case and with my approval.
381, with the LOA provided you with clear language about the only exception being ”the clean up shift” to the twelve hour limit on forced overtime, your BA should have jumped at the opportunity to take your grievance to panel for a decision. She was dead wrong to drop it IMO!!!

I was told that our book of past grievances was thrown out when the local was put into trusteeship….WTF
NightOwl, whoever told you that is full of Sh*t!!!
If it was heard, and a grievance decision was made (denied or sustained), it is on record. Whoever this source was most likely just did not want to take the time to search for a previous decision hoping the situation would eventually go away.
And, if this book of past grievances was thrown out, then there is no reason for any of your future grievances to be dropped because of previous decisions or past practice. If management won’t correct the problem, file the grievance and hound your BA for a panel decision until you get an answer.

Yoir local had/had one, it's probably got a half inch of dust on it, and hasn't been opened up since the 90s.

Iirc, out in rochacha, isn't abf a smaller barn?

I will say, that the company would probably stress the fact that they aren't competing with 15 other union barns in the same area, and they are the last ones abiding by this contract from a bygone era.

NightOwl, whoever told you that is full of Sh*t!!!
If it was heard, and a grievance decision was made (denied or sustained), it is on record. Whoever this source was most likely just did not want to take the time to search for a previous decision hoping the situation would eventually go away.
And, if this book of past grievances was thrown out, then there is no reason for any of your future grievances to be dropped because of previous decisions or past practice. If management won’t correct the problem, file the grievance and hound your BA for a panel decision until you get an answer.
Came right from the B.A. himself, so I don’t know. He said the trusteeship destroyed a lot of papers.

Came right from the B.A. himself, so I don’t know. He said the trusteeship destroyed a lot of papers.
Same crap happened at 710 when we had mobbed up Coli.