ABF | Locking empty trailers

SOR, you're absolutely and completely correct about all of this. But the point I was trying to make earlier (which went totally over the head of GO40) was that sometimes when management makes a dumb decision about something like this, the best way to get them to realize the error of their ways is not to get into a discussion with them about the foolishness of their idea but rather to do exactly what they want and do it carefully and safely, if you get my drift. (I think you're wise enough to understand what I'm saying here). They then usually see how wrong their idea was and rescind it to everyone's benefit.
Let me throw this out as an example of what I'm trying to say here. A long time ago I was a road driver on a Teamster job that was still being managed by the originators/owners of the company. It was a very comfortable, easy going environment there at the time. Not 100% by the book on the Union side but not on the company side either, just a great environment where everything worked out to everyone's benefit. One day a few of us got written up by safety man for speeding on the NY Thruway. Mind you this was only 6/7 mph over the speed limit and was probably all the tractors could do. We asked that the warnings be removed from our files but Safety said no. OK, next day after getting dispatched a few of us got our tractors and shopped every one that didn't have a working speedometer (many tractors did not at the time). When the big boss (originator/owner) saw we weren't leaving as scheduled and asked what was going on we told him if we're getting warnings for speeding in our files we aren't driving tractors without working speedometers. Didn't take long for him to tell Safety to rip up those warning letters and for us to get going up the road. My point - more than one way to skin a cat.

SOR, you're absolutely and completely correct about all of this. But the point I was trying to make earlier (which went totally over the head of GO40) was that sometimes when management makes a dumb decision about something like this, the best way to get them to realize the error of their ways is not to get into a discussion with them about the foolishness of their idea but rather to do exactly what they want and do it carefully and safely, if you get my drift. (I think you're wise enough to understand what I'm saying here). They then usually see how wrong their idea was and rescind it to everyone's benefit.
I didn’t go over my head…. And how did those dumb managment decisions work out for Yellow. Like I said every bad move eventually has consequences….

I didn’t go over my head…. And how did those dumb managment decisions work out for Yellow. Like I said every bad move eventually has consequences….
Hey clueless, it sure did go way over your head. What does any of this conversation have to do with Yellow anyway? Sounds like you're still suffering from YDS, Yellow Derangement Syndrome.

Hey clueless, it sure did go way over your head. What does any of this conversation have to do with Yellow anyway? Sounds like you're still suffering from YDS, Yellow Derangement Syndrome.
If I’m clueless why did you have to explain it again to SOR….Here’s a question, how does this thread pertain to you in any way? Or do you just feel the need to be a condescending dick in every thread….

If I’m clueless why did you have to explain it again to SOR….Here’s a question, how does this thread pertain to you in any way? Or do you just feel the need to be a condescending dick in every thread….
There you go again, showing how clueless you really are. I didn't post that to explain it to SOR. My past experience with him has shown me that he has the wisdom to understand my point and that he is someone with whom I can have intelligent conversations even if we don't always agree 100% of the time. On the other hand I posted it so slow thinking individuals such as yourself (who never fails to resort to comments like "condescending dick") can comprehend what we're talking about. Do you understand, I'm just being kind to the less fortunate. Oh, and by the way, anyone is free to post anywhere they like as long as they follow TB rules.

There you go again, showing how clueless you really are. I didn't post that to explain it to SOR. My past experience with him has shown me that he has the wisdom to understand my point and that he is someone with whom I can have intelligent conversations even if we don't always agree 100% of the time. On the other hand I posted it so slow thinking individuals siuch as yourself (who never fails to resort to comments like "condescending dick") can comprehend what we're talking about. Do you understand, I'm just being kind to the less fortunate. Oh, and by the way, anyone is free to post anywhere they like as long as they follow TB rules.
If the shoe fits…. Most people tolerate you on here because you always have to get the last word in & a know it all. You’re trying to play the big bad teamster now that your retired, but everyone remembers how were one of the biggest cheerleaders for the givebacks….

If the shoe fits…. Most people tolerate you on here because you always have to get the last word in & a know it all. You’re trying to play the big bad teamster now that your retired, but everyone remembers how were one of the biggest cheerleaders for the givebacks….
Just can't help yourself can you? From locked trailer doors at ABF to Yellow givebacks. I pity you.
PS - I guess people on here are forced to "tolerate" me by giving me "likes" to my posts so many times. OK, whatever. :hilarious:

I know you’re memory isn’t what it once was but I’m a peddle driver as I posted in a previous post….
And...... what does that have to do with anything? I've known you're a peddle driver from a long time ago. What's your point?
By the way, it's "your memory", not "you're memory". Geez, haven't Trucking Board grammar lessons rubbed off on you at all? :duh: :hysterical::duh:

I used to love doing a city run with a 53ft swinging door trailer, Always and I mean always would bring freight back and getting 3 to 4 hours overtime.

And...... what does that have to do with anything? I've known you're a peddle driver from a long time ago. What's your point?
By the way, it's "your memory", not "you're memory". Geez, haven't Trucking Board grammar lessons rubbed off on you at all? :duh: :hysterical::duh:
Early shift 4am open doors
Late shift 1pm closes doors
I start @ 8 I do no doors

Guess you didn’t read all the posts where we have twice as many barn doors then roll, where it takes much longer pulling out and closing the doors. Weren’t you all about cutting costs? Oh wait that was for the non union carriers….
What is the cost of closing and securing doors vs. losing customers because of stolen product? That becomes a business decision.
Do as you please, if you are getting paid to secure trailers and you decide not to that's fine with me.
Again, a difference between union and non union companies, a policy is placed into effect and because you don't like it you do not want to participate.
Frankly I don't care what you decide to do if you choose to whine over securing trailers that's fine with me.

AGREED!!!
However, if you can show them the numbers as proof, and at least try to run it on up the ladder past the lower level management or dock supervisors, it will on occasion bring attention to the issue.
Bottom-line……locking an empty trailer is not cost effective.
Just like using swing door trailers in an LTL operation is not cost effective except for the occasional need for a customers over-sized freight.
And we do now have waaaaaaay too many swing door trailers at ABF!!!

Understood but what is the cost of securing trailer doors vs. losing business because of theft or whatever the company fears by leaving them unlocked?

I agree having swing doors on pups seems silly for an LTL carrier but I would guess they purchased them for a reason.

What is the cost of closing and securing doors vs. losing customers because of stolen product? That becomes a business decision.
Do as you please, if you are getting paid to secure trailers and you decide not to that's fine with me.
Again, a difference between union and non union companies, a policy is placed into effect and because you don't like it you do not want to participate.
Frankly I don't care what you decide to do if you choose to whine over securing trailers that's fine with me.
We don’t have a theft problem at our place & I have no problem with locking loaded trailers. Maybe add a few cameras in the yard it would be a lot cheaper in the long run….

We don’t have a theft problem at our place & I have no problem with locking loaded trailers. Maybe add a few cameras in the yard it would be a lot cheaper in the long run….
We have one kick azz electric fence around our yard..... The dogs won't even lift their leg on it....

I think the lock deal is for when you or someone stops.... Maybe for lunch?

We have one kick azz electric fence around our yard..... The dogs won't even lift their leg on it....

I think the lock deal is for when you or someone stops.... Maybe for lunch?
What about drivers? Does the electric fence deter them from unzipping their fly near the fence also? :idunno: :hilarious:

What about drivers? Does the electric fence deter them from unzipping their fly near the fence also? :idunno: :hilarious:
Never witnessed that!!!!

I wasn't looking.,.... I do know that my father was on a jobsite putting telephone cable in the ground..... He owned the company.

Well he was out in the country and had to take a leak.... Went on a tree...he didn't know that there was a electric fence stapler to it....lol

It knocked him to the ground peeing all over himself..
.lol