ABF | Locking empty trailers

What is the cost of closing and securing doors vs. losing customers because of stolen product? That becomes a business decision.
Do as you please, if you are getting paid to secure trailers and you decide not to that's fine with me.
Again, a difference between union and non union companies, a policy is placed into effect and because you don't like it you do not want to participate.
Frankly I don't care what you decide to do if you choose to whine over securing trailers that's fine with me.
The title of the thread is "Locking EMPTY Trailers", no product, no theft...please keep up....

Got to love them swinging doors.
Dock guys left a pallet roller under some torn up long skids.
Got to the stop and had to back down into the dock.
Opened the doors and started to back down and all of a sudden the freight unloaded itself.
Thats a good way to get a man killed 😳

Don't know if it's been answered but the reason to lock all trailers is because a thief does not know which one has freight on them to steal
That could be one thing, but we don't seal empties...we seal loads...they are also making us pull them from a dock door, close the doors, lock it....then put it back to the dock at night, then reopen it in the am.....most people couldn't get in there when against a dock, then it wouldn't matter since it is empty...

Sometimes dispatch would seal empty trailers in the yard to hold them for a driver that needed a empty and did not have the time for them to let us stay under for a quick strip and go , had to keep moving . drop hook , drop hook , pound them out.

That could be one thing, but we don't seal empties...we seal loads...they are also making us pull them from a dock door, close the doors, lock it....then put it back to the dock at night, then reopen it in the am.....most people couldn't get in there when against a dock, then it wouldn't matter since it is empty...
That's one of the points I was trying to make, seal all or seal none. That yellow seal that Carlisle uses is a dead giveaway that it's a loaded trailer....

California required a seal or lock on trailer when on the road. Don't know if they still enforce it or not.
CF locked or had a seal on everything if the door was not open.

Let me throw this out as an example of what I'm trying to say here. A long time ago I was a road driver on a Teamster job that was still being managed by the originators/owners of the company. It was a very comfortable, easy going environment there at the time. Not 100% by the book on the Union side but not on the company side either, just a great environment where everything worked out to everyone's benefit. One day a few of us got written up by safety man for speeding on the NY Thruway. Mind you this was only 6/7 mph over the speed limit and was probably all the tractors could do. We asked that the warnings be removed from our files but Safety said no. OK, next day after getting dispatched a few of us got our tractors and shopped every one that didn't have a working speedometer (many tractors did not at the time). When the big boss (originator/owner) saw we weren't leaving as scheduled and asked what was going on we told him if we're getting warnings for speeding in our files we aren't driving tractors without working speedometers. Didn't take long for him to tell Safety to rip up those warning letters and for us to get going up the road. My point - more than one way to skin a cat.
PIE sealed the hoods on the tractors and posted a notice you would be subject to dismissal if caught with the seal broken.
A driver called in with the tractor running hot.
When asked if it was low on water, he replied, we are not allowed to raise the hood, send a vendor.
The seal rule didn't last very long.

PIE sealed the hoods on the tractors and posted a notice you would be subject to dismissal if caught with the seal broken.
A driver called in with the tractor running hot.
When asked if it was low on water, he replied, we are not allowed to raise the hood, send a vendor.
The seal rule didn't last very long.
Had a guy at my terminal, since retired now. One night after bangin his set together he had to get a tire changed. Shop said screw you we’re busy. Driver says ok no problem

He pulled out on the street, parked right in front of the gate and called breakdown. Shop now had to come change that tire on the street. From what I heard mofo werent too happy 🤣

California required a seal or lock on trailer when on the road. Don't know if they still enforce it or not.
CF locked or had a seal on everything if the door was not open.
Well, if they don't check now, it's because things became lax and newer officers don't know about it. But you can bet your life some fool will read this and make a call!!! Then sometime in the future it will travel across all states. Because good, bad, foolish, stupid, smart, or the greatest thing since Beer, If California does it must be right!!! Just my MHO. :lmao: :lmao:

think the lock deal is for when you or someone stops.... Maybe for lunch?
I worked inbound last Sunday (double time) and I had to back in several strips & two of them had the locks cut off (because they were old & could not be opened) and all they had on them was the tin seal. If they are on a security push these trailers are a prime target when they are pulled over for a break….

I worked inbound last Sunday (double time) and I had to back in several strips & two of them had the locks cut off (because they were old & could not be opened) and all they had on them was the tin seal. If they are on a security push these trailers are a prime target when they are pulled over for a break….
I had to cut one off the other day also.... A little lubrication once in a while would definitely be helpful.