FedEx Freight | RIP ALL OPCOS

truckingBORED

Careering down the road to AUTONOMY!
Credits
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/fedex-launches-long-awaited-operational-integration

FedEx Freight, the company’s less-than-truckload business, and FedEx Ground have begun to combine their vast line-haul operations, which combined ran 3.7 billion miles in the company’s most recent fiscal year that ended May 31, in a bid to reduce empty miles and improve equipment utilization. Greater use of rail intermodal networks has reduced so-called bobtail miles — mileage operated by a tractor with no trailer attached — by approximately 8 million miles, company executives said.

FedEx said the initiative will allow it to operate 100 fewer U.S. stations over the next five years even as it grows its volumes over that time. It also forecast a 10% reduction in U.S. pickup and delivery routes over that period. In areas with relatively low package density, business units will operate out of one station, executives said.

That explains the new Ground trailers with orange instead of green. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. On paper it makes absol sense. Real world is a time will tell scenario.

Last edited:
That explains the new Ground trailers with orange instead of green. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. On paper it makes absol sense. Real world is a time will tell scenario.
Don’t know how long you’ve been at Fedex but changing of colors started years ago for five years ago they announced we were all gonna be branded orange all the operating companies then with the cost rebranding they decided to only rebrand equipment that had to be repaired and painted for some reason and on all new equipment it has nothing to do with that into the other guys comments no we’re not going under the ground models we’ve been running their linehaul stuff for over two years now straight through and prior to that we were running their stuff you’re in Christmas holidays anyway

That's going back to them wanting to change all the FedEx to orange... nothing new on that part

Don’t know how long you’ve been at Fedex but changing of colors started years ago for five years ago they announced we were all gonna be branded orange all the operating companies then with the cost rebranding they decided to only rebrand equipment that had to be repaired and painted for some reason and on all new equipment it has nothing to do with that into the other guys comments no we’re not going under the ground models we’ve been running their linehaul stuff for over two years now straight through and prior to that we were running their stuff you’re in Christmas holidays anyway
Way I see it they will probably cover the purchase transportation with ground... which is what they are doing now. I don't see ground running freight...their docks aren't made for it. I say it's gonna be business as usual for us....just more integration of pros

Did you notice all the ground freight type pups start with 4 instead of the usual 8. I pointed this out a couple years ago. They fit right into our system

Way I see it they will probably cover the purchase transportation with ground... which is what they are doing now. I don't see ground running freight...their docks aren't made for it. I say it's gonna be business as usual for us....just more integration of pros
They don’t need to have the docks, when they’re just going to move the loads from yard to yard….

So at my center we’ve started to collect over 5 53ft vans of ground and just in the last 2-3 days we’ve collected at least an extra 5-10 containers.. now my question for the early on process is what are the ground trailers doing at our center? Ground loads most of their items on the ground and not to mention their center is just about 3 miles away from ours.. so I’m just confused on how the “empty” miles in the early on stages.

Btw none of our road drivers are touching their equipment so I’m assuming maybe it’s a city type deal currently.. also I understand the rails being ours so I see the connection their but why can’t their drivers pick them up?

Hey soon we will be driving one of our pups and one of their belly pups.. with one of their dollys.. this is going to be fun

My center has been steadily adding ground runs for a while. 1/3 of our runs are now what you would call ground runs. 18 out of 54 bids are ground. Closing 100 stations? I’m sure this means any customer center that can be ran past to a larger center.

I do believe overall in the 3 years it will take to do this,freight will be the place to be. Some weird stuff is about to happen boys. UPS completely redisigned their network and it is still filling in gaps 2 years later. FedEx is next. Also I believe the long ground sleeper runs will be gone. Rail oh a lot more of that for sure I mean most of our pups are railable. Freight some say has overhired but not really. This is not going to be good for all. Change for sure is coming. Good Luck to all of us.

So at my center we’ve started to collect over 5 53ft vans of ground and just in the last 2-3 days we’ve collected at least an extra 5-10 containers.. now my question for the early on process is what are the ground trailers doing at our center? Ground loads most of their items on the ground and not to mention their center is just about 3 miles away from ours.. so I’m just confused on how the “empty” miles in the early on stages.

Btw none of our road drivers are touching their equipment so I’m assuming maybe it’s a city type deal currently.. also I understand the rails being ours so I see the connection their but why can’t their drivers pick them up?

Hey soon we will be driving one of our pups and one of their belly pups.. with one of their dollys.. this is going

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/fedex-launches-long-awaited-operational-integration

FedEx Freight, the company’s less-than-truckload business, and FedEx Ground have begun to combine their vast line-haul operations, which combined ran 3.7 billion miles in the company’s most recent fiscal year that ended May 31, in a bid to reduce empty miles and improve equipment utilization. Greater use of rail intermodal networks has reduced so-called bobtail miles — mileage operated by a tractor with no trailer attached — by approximately 8 million miles, company executives said.

FedEx said the initiative will allow it to operate 100 fewer U.S. stations over the next five years even as it grows its volumes over that time. It also forecast a 10% reduction in U.S. pickup and delivery routes over that period. In areas with relatively low package density, business units will operate out of one station, executives said.
the beginning of the article was about express and ground and parcels being rerouted, the Fedex frght was towards the end. there was talk for years about express being merged with ground

Ground has a different setup for their gears. They have the dummy pintle hook on the back of their pups and the locking plunger on the gear. Pointed this out several years ago to a witless TM, was told, oh we'll figure it out. Figure away boys!
:shakehandsnah:

Surly he had a
piece of paper that will be handed out to you so you know.